Let’s face it—moving day is no walk in the park! Packing and moving take thorough planning, whether you’re moving to the other side of town or across the country. The Kathy Henne Team wants to make your move to Piqua, Ohio as seamless and stress-free as possible, which is why we’re providing you with an essential checklist for all your moving to-dos.
Before You Move
A successful move starts well before you receive the keys to your new home. Alleviate stress from the get-go by being proactive weeks before moving day arrives. Here’s how to get started...
Organize & declutter
Start small by going one room at a time and decluttering. Organize your belongings into piles that can be donated, sold, or thrown away. Good news—the less stuff you have by moving day, the less you’ll have to pack!
There are some things you can do ahead of time to prevent being overwhelmed post-move—changing your address, notifying important offices, and contacting moving companies are just a few things to complete beforehand.
Determine how you'll move
Nowadays, there are tons of options for how you want to move. Do you want to rent a U-haul or trailer and take on the task yourself? Or would you rather hire a moving company to lighten the load? Make sure to give yourself ample time to call around and get various pricing estimates.
Handy Packing Tips
- Label EVERYTHING: There’s nothing more frustrating than trying to unpack an unorganized mess. Label all boxes by room, so you’ll know exactly where to put them in your new home—and even better, consider color-coding them for quicker placement.
- Pack light: Don’t weigh down boxes in an attempt to minimize the number of boxes you have. It’s better to pack more boxes than to break the entire box from being bogged down.
- Get creative: In addition to packing staples such as bubble wrap and packing peanuts, utilize household items to carefully pack your things. Blankets and thick clothing make great padding for glassware and other breakables.
- Prepare an "open me first" box: Your “open me first” box will be your go-to box the first night in your new home. Before you’ve unpacked everything, you can find essential items like toilet paper, instant coffee, and personal items in this box.
- Prevent leaks: Cling wrap is going to be your new best friend on moving day! Use cling wrap to securely cover the openings of soaps, shampoos, and other liquid products. You can also use it to wrap dresser drawers or jewelry displays to keep everything intact.
On Moving Day
Moving into your new home should feel like a fresh start—not a confusing craze. Here are some tips for an exciting, and, of course, productive moving day!
Keep important info on-hand
Don’t pack your most important documents and emergency prep items. First aid supplies, medication, financial and medical records, IDs, and other high-value items should always be kept with you.
Take an overnight bag
Just in case you beat the moving company or you’re too tired to unpack, have an overnight bag prepared for your first night’s stay. Be prepared with things like a change of clean clothes, toiletry items, and a phone charger.
Have phone numbers handy
Keep your moving company’s contact information with you in case you need to contact them for any reason. It’s also helpful to have your Bill of Loading and shipment registration number with you.
After You Move
Congratulations! You have successfully relocated to Piqua, Ohio! Now it’s time to settle in and enjoy all the fun things to do in this area!
Rule of thumb: clean first, unpack second. This way, you can deep clean your home before it’s full of all your belongings. Pay close attention to places like drawers, cabinets, and areas around appliances, as these probably don’t get cleaned regularly.
Unpack by room
Take your time unpacking, and give each of your belongings a proper place in your new home. The same way you packed one room at a time, you should unpack room by room—and thankfully, your boxes should already be labeled by room anyway!
Enjoy your new home
Moving isn’t always easy, but it’s always worth it when you finally get settled in your new home. Don’t forget to stop and smile—your new chapter in your dream home has just begun. Welcome home!
Still Have Questions About Relocating to Piqua, Ohio?
If you’re ready to find the perfect home in Piqua, Ohio, then it’s time to contact the Kathy Henne Team. We’ll serve as your local guide to all things Piqua, and we’re more than happy to answer any questions you may have!
Want to learn more about buying a home in Piqua, Ohio? We’ve got plenty of resources to help you out!